Tuesday, March 4, 2008

sao gabriel da chacoeira

This is frontier town par excellance, hugh military presence and a fantastic setting on the river. Time has only just begun here and as I wandered around today people are so friendly and unassuming, it´s great. Met many people from the boattrip in town who live here. There is nothing here, shops sell usefull things like food, hardware, shoes etc, but nothing ostentatious. Boys will be pleased to know that jungle knives (3ft long) are about 6 pound but noway I can get those to UK. There are also no restaurants or bars of any significance, just communal places for mass cooked food etc. There is a local market with some produce and some people operate a ´bring your own food´BBQ. Such a shame I cannot produce any pictures yet because connection is very slow. I found a cafe selling just fruitjuice and bread with cheese (grilled) and that set me back 50 pence. I tried to get some money out from the bank but it didn´t want to know so ended up changing dollars in a local shop. It is strange to be the obvious foreigner in this town but nobody will bother you, not even shout out to sell you things. When in contact the first thing they ask is ámericano`, and when I reply ´no I am dutch´they are very pleased. Wander why?

No comments: