Wednesday, February 27, 2008

2nd day

today woke up to the cacaphony of jungle noise. After fantastic breakfast drinking cubuacu, mashed fruit reminiscent of lumpy joghurt but nothing I ever tasted (in a nice way) I had a lift into Manaus. The most exotic experience one could have and you can,t pretent you are anything other than a foreigner. It feels intimidating at first but it is curiosity mainly as most people appear to be from the amazon region. The city is organised chaos, nobody speaks english or spanish and it is very busy. Once in the actual port it feels like stepping back in time. The bustling environment of loading goods, peoples hanging around offering services, captains flocking spaces on boats, old seadogs, prostitutes, beggars, it all feels overwhelming especially in the heat. What looked easy in my research back home is a big undertaking in reality. You can get anywhere you want but it takes time to find out who goes where and when and for howmuch. The distances are staggering and boat travel is measured in days/weeks depending on many factors. I feel I need a few more days climatizing before I embark on a trip carrying all my lugage. Footnote: infrastructure in brazil is basic so do not expect photos until I find a faster link, presently on dial-up which took 0.5 hr to establish.

No comments: